BEHAVIOUR PRINCIPLES STATEMENT
Queen Elizabeth High School recognises its role in providing a high quality education for students. Though challenging behaviour is very rare at Queen Elizabeth High School it is important to have a clear set of expectations from which students can model themselves and become well-rounded citizens in the future. They are expected to adhere to the following Code of Conduct which is taken from the school Conduct for Learning Policy:
- Treat everyone with respect whether a student, member of staff or visitor
- Be courteous at all times
- Have self-respect and do nothing to put yourself or others at risk
- Walking sensibly and quietly, keeping to the left in corridors is safe and expected
- Any form of bullying, verbal or physical, is totally unacceptable
- Fighting and “play” fighting causes injury to others and is NEVER allowed
- Take pride in ourselves and our schoolIn following the Code of Conduct, students will need to abide by the following rules which are taken from the school Conduct for Learning Policy.
The aim of this statement is to help ensure that students, staff, parents/carers and governors in our school community understand the principles by which our students are expected to behave.
Within Queen Elizabeth High School we consistently refer to student behaviour using the term “conduct”, and though this statement is named as the Behaviour Principles Statement this is to ensure it is readily identifiable as said document give its statutory nature.
In following the Code of Conduct, students will need to abide by the following rules which are taken from the school Conduct for Learning Policy:
- Take responsibility for your own appearance by wearing the full school uniform as set out within this policy
- Jewellery is not part of the school uniform – a single stud in each ear is acceptable plain gold or silver 5mm in diameter (facial studs are not permitted). Similarly spacers, flesh tunnels retainers or “invisible studs” are not permitted. The use of bars and other such adornments is not permitted. The school reserves the right to remove students from classes where they refuse to comply in removing such jewellery if requested to do so
- Hair must be of a natural colour and should not feature tramlines, patterns or overly large hair adornments. Where students present in contravention of this they may be removed from lessons until the issue has been addressed in line with policy
- No patterns or cut lines should be visible in eyebrows. Where these are seen they must be filled with an appropriate eyebrow pencil. Where students present in contravention of this they may be removed from lessons until the issue has been addressed in line with policy
- Similarly, students wearing excessive make-up and non-natural nails will be expected to remove them as requested.
- No tattoos. Parents and carers are reminded that students at school should not have permanent tattoos in any form due to their age. Where students have temporary tattoos these should be fully covered until they have worn off
- No hooded tops, caps, hats or sweatshirts to be worn within the school building, all hoods must remain down whilst on school site unless adverse weather conditions necessitate them being worn up. Upon entry to school, all outdoor clothing should be removed
- Plain black polishable shoes and plain black belts for trousers. Where these are not available you may be asked to wear pumps provided. Buckles must not be overly large or feature advertising or wording in any format
- Skirts should be of a length that is no greater than 1 inch above the knee when standing. Trousers should not be skin-tight, and should not be made from denim, lycra or similar materials. Students in contravention of this may be asked to change them or be removed from lessons for the remainder of the day
- Make sure you have everything you need for the school day
- Show that you care, can be trusted and be truthful at all times
- Respect and celebrate the achievements of all members of our school community as if those achievements were your own
- Use your time wisely
- Be on time to registration and to lessons
- Work with purpose for the whole lesson
- Always show respect for other students who are working
- Raise your hand if you need help
- Always show respect for your teacher and other adults and the equipment you are using in your lesson
- Take pride in our school
- Make sure the positive reputation of our school is reflected in your actions
- Keep all parts of our school clean and tidy
- Be good representatives both in and out of school at all times
- Smoking is not allowed on or near the school premises. Students found smoking on site or with students smoking on site will be heavily sanctioned. Smoking on school premises indicates that a student has brought on to the school site the means to set a fire. This is a serious health and safety issue and therefore it is the devices used to enable smoking which constitute the greatest threat to the school staff and students
- Mobile phones/electronic devices should not be brought into school. If a student is seen with a mobile phone/electronic device irrespective of it being used, the phone will be confiscated and be secured for collection by a parent/carer only. These items will not be returned to students. In this event a letter will be sent home to parents/carers to inform them of the confiscation. Students are encouraged to use the system of handing in phones to reception on entry to the school and collecting them as they leave. The school will accept absolutely no responsibility for loss, damage or theft as a result of a student not following this policy
Students have been made aware of the school Code of Conduct and the principles of behaviour that underpin it through class based work. A poster detailing these expectations is displayed within each teaching space within Queen Elizabeth High School. Students who fail to abide by this Behaviour Principles Statement will be subject to sanction under the school Conduct for Learning Policy.
Behaviour Principles Statement.
Conduct for Learning Policy
Anti Bullying Policy