Local Offer

Welcome to QEHS, where we strive to support all students to enable them to achieve their full potential. In order to do this, many steps are taken to support your child through their learning journey. Firstly, we would like to introduce the key members of staff who will assist and guide you in throughout your child’s time at QEHS.

Mr Martin Farmer Headteacher
Mr Sebastien Seneque Deputy Headteacher
Mrs Kim Lane Assistant Head Teacher, DSL, SPOC and SENCO

All students at QEHS receive quality class teaching and this is our priority. However, for some, there may be occasions when further additional support may be needed to help them achieve their targets and this may be for a limited period of time or in some circumstances, for an extended period of time. Some students need increased support to access learning because:

  1. They have a significantly great difficulty in learning than the majority of children the same age;
  2. They have a disability as defined under the Equality Act, which affect their ability to access and benefit from educational opportunities generally enjoyed by children of the same age.

We strive to meet the needs of all of our students and ensure that the barriers to learning are overcome. We monitor and track progress of all students so that the support is as effective as possible. We also welcome the full engagement of parents and guardians and on the occasions where necessary, we will seek support and advice from specialists outside of school.

Terms used within schools which relate to special educational needs:

There are many terms that we use in school and in education, which like most things are subject to change, which can easily cause confusion. Below is a table of the common abbreviations that are used in school.

How does the school know if my child needs extra help?

A student may be identified as having a Special Educational Need (SEN) at any stage during his/her education. This may be a long-term difficulty requiring continuing support or a short term difficulty requiring a specific intervention. Information about your child’s special educational needs comes from a number of sources:

  • Primary school liaison meetings
  • Primary school information on tests and national curriculum levels
  • Meetings/phone calls with parents
  • Outside agency reports
  • Discussions with the students
  • Cognitive Abilities Tests (CATs)
  • Screening tests for reading and spelling
  • Handwriting sample
  • Teacher feedback
  • Interim reports


What should I do if I think my child may have SEND?

If you are concerned about the progress your child is making, you should initially contact your son/daughter‘s subject teacher regarding the subject area that you are worried about. You can also contact their tutor or SENCO to discuss your general concerns. We encourage parents and guardians to share what is on their mind as we want to work in partnership to help your child achieve their best.

How will I know how my child is doing?

All students in the school have regular progress reports – four a year. At each of these points, your child’s progress will be evaluated. There are also the following meeting times:

  • Year 6 Induction Evening
  • Year 7 Settling in meeting
  • Year 7 Parents’ Evening
  • Year 8 Parents’ Evening
  • Year 9 Parents’ Evening
  • Year 10/11 Study Skills/Exam Information Evenings
  • Year 10 Parents’ Evening
  • Year 11 Parents’ Evening
  • Annual Reviews

At any time, you are encouraged to contact your child’s teachers directly using the email address:

first initial and surname @queenelizabeth.hereford.sch.uk

If your child has SEND they will be placed on the Additional Needs Register and you will be invited into school to discuss your child’s needs, the provision available and agree on targets for your child, who will also be part of this discussion. We will also discuss ways to support your child’s progress at home. If your child is on the Additional Needs Register, we will arrange to meet with you three times a year to review their progress and the impact of our special provisions for them. This may be with the SENCO.

How does the school know what we are doing is working for students with SEND?

Your child’s progress will be continually monitored by his/her class teacher and DHT. If your child receives intervention, progress will be formally reviewed either by the SENCO. If your child is receiving additional, specific and targeted support in the classroom, their progress will be measured with a more sensitive assessment tool using a SEN Plan, where targets will be set and reviewed regularly, evidence for judgements assessed and a future plan made.

Students with a Statement or an EHC Plan will be formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education along with the student. The local authority will also be involved within this process.

Regular lesson observations and learning walks will be carried out by the members of the Senior Leadership Team and SENCo to ensure that the needs of all students are met and that the quality of teaching and learning is high.

Please refer to our SEND Policy and Equality Policy for further details of how we assess special educational needs and put special provisions in place.

How do you let everyone know about my child’s SEND?

Staff will be kept up to date on your child’s special educational needs using our student information system. Supply staff will receive an overview of students’ needs in their classes. Where necessary, outside specialist support will be sought.

What expertise and training do staff have to support students with SEND?

All of our teachers are qualified and many teachers in school have studied their subject to an advanced level and have included training on SEND in their qualifications. All teachers have undertaken specialist further professional development; which will include training on SEND. We are committed to providing ongoing professional development to ensure staff remain up-to-date and highly skilled. Where necessary, support from outside agencies is used to deliver whole staff training.

How can I have my say in my child’s education?

As parents you will be informed of any decisions regarding interventions. A letter will be sent detailing the format, times and frequency of the intervention. Your views will be recorded and you will receive a copy of the agreed decisions. Where appropriate your views/feelings will be fed back to staff. We actively encourage parents and guardians to share their thoughts about their child’s progress. Student planners also provide and excellent method of communication. The form tutor will monitor these.

How does my child have a say in their education?

Any decisions made about your child’s education will also be discussed with your child. We know that sometimes it is difficult to understand changes or intervention; so we always encourage students to come and discuss their concerns with us. Any comments made by your child are recorded and where appropriate, you will be told. We encourage students to come and talk to us before am registration, break and lunch times within the Student Services Centre.

How will teaching be adapted for students with SEND?

Our aim is to provide a curriculum that is relevant and broad and helps students to become as functionally literate, numerate, communicative and as independent as possible in an environment that promotes positive learning experiences. Class teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of students in their class and will ensure that your child’s needs are met through quality teaching. Your child’s learning experience may be adapted in the following ways and will be based on evidence of what support your child needs:

  • Small class sizes for English and Maths
  • Support staff withdraw small groups for targeted work either within a subject or for literacy or numeracy
  • Specialist equipment e.g. ICT to remove specific barriers to learning
  • Specific strategies for the teacher, aimed at overcoming your child’s barriers to learning
  • Homework support

What other activities and support are available to students with SEND?

SEND students have access to all the services and activities the school offers.

  • Counselling
  • Family support coordination
  • EAL support – including a Specialist Teacher of English as an Additional Language

Who are the outside agencies who can support students with SEND?

In circumstances where there is evidence that a student has a significant difficulty and school based intervention has not achieved the desired outcomes, where appropriate, the school can involve outside agencies:

  • Autism Outreach Service
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • SALT
  • School
  • CAMHs
  • Social Care.

How is the school accessible to students with SEND?

Please refer to our Equality Policy on the school website for further details of how we manage accessibility.

How do you support students with SEND coming to QEHC and moving onto further education?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEN so we take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible. We offer a structured induction that can involve additional school tours, meeting of key staff, meetings with parents and guardians and outside agencies, student visits to lessons and small group work where appropriate. Mrs Lane will have met with students and staff in the Primary School liaising with the Year 6 teacher and SENCO.

When the time comes for your child to leave QEHS we will liaise with the receiving school / college / provider and follow their transition process ensuring that we pass on vital pastoral, assessment and access arrangements information. At this time, your child may participate in focused learning relating to aspects of transition to support their understanding of changes ahead and may also have transition visits where appropriate.

How can I find out what the Local Authority offers for children with SEN?

The easiest way to access this information is to type into your search engine “Herefordshire local offer” and you will be directed to the appropriate page. If you wish to share your views about Herefordshire local offer, you can email on: localoffer@herefordshire.gov.uk

What do I do if I am not happy with the provision made at school?

If you are unhappy about the provision made at school, you can discuss your concerns with the SENCO, who will keep records of your comments. At all times, we will endeavour to resolve the issue with the most appropriate staff members being involved. In the event that this does not find a successful resolution the matter should be referred to the Headteacher. The Compliments and Complaints Policy can be found here. In the unlikely event that the complaint is still not resolved, the Chair of Governors can be contacted via the school.

How is the money the school is given spent for students with SEN?

The government provides funding for students who have been identified by the school as having SEN. The school does not spend individual amounts of money on individual students. The money is used collectively so that we have greater spending power to help students. Once we have established the student’s need, we may use the funding in the following ways to benefit students:

  • Reduced class sizes
  • TA support
  • Literacy and Numeracy Intervention
  • Intensive Intervention for SEM
  • Mentoring
  • Counselling

It is important to note that the interventions we offer at QEHS are needs led and there are many interventions which may be used dependent on the needs of your child.

Do you need further information?

If you want to read more about SEN, Hereford Council have a website which provides a large amount of information and can be found on:


Alternatively, once you are at the Hereford Council webpage, type in the key words “local offer” in the search provided.


Glossary of terms

ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

ASC Autistic Spectrum Continuum

CAF Common Assessment Framework

CAHMS Child Adolescent Mental Health Framework

CoP Code of Practice

DCD Developmental Coordination Disorder ( previously known as Dyspraxia)

EAL English as an Additional Language

EHCP Education, Health, Care Plan (new version of a Statement)

EP Educational Psychologist

Ever FSM or FSM6 Free School Meals in the last 6 years

HI Hearing Impairment

KS Key Stage

LA or LEA Local Authority or Local Education Authority

LAC Looked After Child

MLD Moderate Learning Difficulty

OT Occupational Therapist

PEP Personalised Education Programme

PMLD Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties

PP Personalised Programme

SALT or SLT Speech and Language Therapist

SLCN Speech Language and Communication Needs

SLD Sever Learning Difficulty

SLT Senior Leadership Team

SEN or SEND Special Educational Needs or Special Educational Needs and Disability

SENCO Special Educational Needs Coordinator

SPLD Specific Learning Difficulty

SEM Social, Emotional, Mental Health Needs

Literacy and Numeracy catch up statement

2017/2018 Catch-up Proposal

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Newsletter Subscription