The Headteacher and Finance committee will:
- Evaluate, at least annually, and whenever a vacancy arises, the staffing structure to ensure that it meets the changing needs of the College;
- Review regularly the documentation provided for potential applicants for posts to enable them to make well informed decisions about whether to apply;
- Ensure that staff and governors involved in recruitment procedures are trained
- Monitor the number and role of support staff to ensure that their skills and talents, and those of the teachers, are used in full;
- Use the performance management strategy to identify, share and celebrate good practice and to generate evidence for threshold application and salary reviews;
- Identify an assistant head, deputy head or senior member of staff to manage;
- the induction of all new staff;
- the mentoring of newly qualified teachers;
- the continuing professional development of staff;
- the “gatekeeping” system for the circulation of documents so as to reduce, as far as possible, the bureaucratic burden on staff without jeopardising effective communication;
- ensure that appropriate checks are carried out on all applicants for positions in the College – paid and voluntary. This will include checking identity, qualification, professional and character references, health and physical capacity, previous employment history to ensure gaps are accounted for, and criminal record checks.
The Finance Committee of the governing body will:
- Ensure that all decisions about salaries are based on evidence and are applied equitably;
- When formulating the budget for the school, take steps to ensure that the training needs identified in the school improvement plan and through the performance management process are addressed.