This policy statement has been developed in accordance with the Education (Governors’ Allowances) Regulations 2003. These regulations give Governing Bodies the discretion to pay allowances from the college’s annual budget allocation to governors for certain allowances which they incur in carrying out their duties. Our Governing Body believes that paying governors’ allowances, in specific categories as set out below, is important in ensuring equality of opportunity to serve as governors for all members of the community and so is an appropriate use of school funds. The specific items allowable reflect this objective.
Governing bodies can choose whether or not to pay allowances to governors. However, the DfE (Department for Education) thinks that it is good practice to pay such allowances as governors should not be out of pocket for the valuable work they do. All governors of QEHC will be entitled to claim the actual costs, which they incur as follows up to a maximum of £50:
- Governors will be able to claim allowances providing the allowances are incurred in carrying out their duties, as a Governor or representative of QEHC, and are agreed by the Finance that they are justified before any reimbursable costs are incurred.
- Governors will be able to claim for the following, on a case-by-case basis and with the prior approval of the Governing Body:
- Childcare or baby sitting allowances (excluding payments to a current/former spouse or partner);
- Cost of care arrangements for an elderly or dependent relative (excluding payments to a current/former spouse or partner);
- The extra costs they incur in performing their duties either because they have special needs or because English is not their first language;
- The cost of travel relating only to travel to meetings/training courses at a rate equal to that agreed by Herefordshire Council which does not exceed the specified rates for school personnel;
- Telephone charges, photocopying, stationery, postage etc;
- Any other justifiable allowances.
The Governing Body at QEHC acknowledges that:
- Governors may not be paid attendance allowance;
- Governors may not be reimbursed for loss of earnings.
- Governors wishing to make claims under these arrangements, once prior approval has been sought, should complete a claims form (obtainable from the Admin Office), attaching receipts, and return it to the college within two weeks of the date when the allowances were incurred, when they will be submitted for approval by the Chair of Governors or Chair of Finance to be presented to the Finance Committee (which meets at least once per half-term) for final approval.
- Claims will be subject to independent audit and may be investigated by the Chair of Governors (or Chair of Finance in respect of the Chair of Governors, unless the chair of governors holds the post of chair of Finance, in which case the Chair of another sub-committee will investigate) if they appear excessive or inconsistent.
- This policy should be spelled out in any notice for recruiting new governors and governors should be reminded of it annually, at the beginning of the College year.